MK24 Midsummer Run
“The return of the Towel”
Saturday 13th June – Sunday 14th June 2020
We’re back for a second year following the huge and fantastic debut of the MK24 at Willen Lake, Milton Keynes in 2019. It’s going to be bigger and better so sign up now to avoid disappointment.
New to MK24? Here a few testimonies from those who took part in 2019;
- “It was a fabulous weekend, one I’ll remember for years. I for one achieved a dream that I didn’t think was possible. So many others achieved more than they anticipated. It was seamless!”
- “It gave runners a way to achieve personal targets that some may not have done otherwise. It was lovely to see everyone so happy”
- “It was a fantastic event, a huge well done to all involved. Loved how everyone felt welcome, regardless of ability, speed etc etc…”
- “I haven’t been at the club for long but this event has made the right impression and I’m here to stay”
- “Would I do it again next year and would I recommend it – YES YES AND YES AGAIN!”
The event starts at 2pm on Saturday afternoon and will continue for 24 hrs until the last runners return to the race HQ by 2pm on the Sunday.
The route follows the Midsummer Ley Line in a number of places and includes many of the key icons of Milton Keynes along the way.
“Run it your way”
“OH MY GOODNESS I CAN’T RUN FOR 24 HOURS”
It’s not like that. Our motto is “Run it Your Way” and that’s exactly what you can do. Take a break between laps to soak up the event village atmosphere or have a snooze. Its up to you.
Some I guess will want to run as much as possible, others in a team of 2-6, but the aim is to run as much or as little as you like.
For example, each lap consists of 6.55 miles (1/4 Marathon) so if you ever wanted to run a half or full marathon, all you need to do is complete 2 or 4 laps over the 24-hour period. Or go further and complete 5 laps or more (over 20s only) for an Ultra Marathon. You can do it in a team, or as a solo returning to complete another lap when you’re ready.
If you only want to do just the one lap, no problem, we are all inclusive and everyone who enters receives the bespoke medal for 2020 plus our iconic and much sought after embroidered hand Towel plus, our now famous distance pin badges for completing 13.1 miles, 26.2 miles or the Ultra.
I am pleased to announce that we are now inviting juniors between 10 and 18 years to join us at the MK24 ‘Midsummer Run’ in 2020. Juniors will not be permitted to run the entire course but run half laps of approximately 5km. By completing two half laps over the 24 hours, they will be eligible for the fantastic MK24 medal plus the Iconic embroidered hand towel. We will organise two special group starts at 7pm on Saturday and 4am on Sunday to witness the Sunrise from Beacon Hill.
So why not camp out overnight and book a pitch in the campsite and enjoy the atmosphere of the outdoor games zone and if things go to plan, the outdoor cinema on Saturday evening. We insist that the young people are supervised whilst on site but not necessarily on the run as I guess most of them run faster than us adults. If you wish to join in the fun with your children, then why not enter too.
Click one of the links above to access the junior Under 18 entry at just £15 each.
Run 1 lap in total at any point in the 24 hour period
Run (or walk) the sunrise lap
Run 1 lap one day and another lap the next day totalling half marathon in 24 hours
Run 4 laps in total within 24 hours to give you a marathon distance completed
Run solo for a full 24 hours – how many laps will you do in that time?
Take turns by entering a team (up to 6 runners)
NEW FOR 2020
- A brand new specially designed bespoke medal, yet to be unveiled.
- A fourth pin badge, the ‘Double Marathon’ for those who complete 8 laps or more
- Special organised hourly runs, including ‘The Start’, ‘The Sunset’, ”The Midnight Glow Stick!’, ‘The Breakfast!’, ‘The last chance’ and of course the popular ‘Sunrise’ ….. to name but a few.
- Entertainment with live music on Saturday evening followed hopefully by an open-air cinema.
- Outdoor games zone including Rounders, Boules and more.
- Slightly altered route with bigger and better signage
- MK24 merchandise for sale from the club shop via a link coming soon.
Camping will again be available on site, but pitches will be limited so book your pitch now. Why not enter with your running pals as a team and enjoy camping out under the stars whilst you take it in turns running a lap.
Our partners Freedom Leisure have again this year promised to make their facilities available FREE of Charge including the swimming pool, sauna and showers, for all participants. Portable Toilets will be available on site, with other public toilets nearby courtesy of Willen Lake and The Parks Trust.
We are working hard in partnership with The Premier Inn at Willen in the hope that rooms will be available at a discounted rate if you would rather sleep in a bed then under canvas, so watch this space for more updates.
Snacks, water and hot drinks will be available FREE of charge. All we ask that you bring your own re-fillable water bottle and coffee mug.
Hot and cold food will be available to purchase from nearby vendors including the Café, Pub/Restaurant, Pizza van and not to be missed our very own charity BBQ serving Burgers, Hot dogs and Bacon Rolls.
To enter the event, each person will need to do so in person, but the entry form allows you to enter with others by naming your team and team leader. This will enable us to link entries together. Please ensure that you spell these details correctly.
Prizes for the fastest lap, and Individuals or Teams who completes the most laps over the 24-hour period.
Redway Runners should log into their Redway Runners profile then select ‘Events’ to take advantage of the members discount.
The event is held under UKA rules. Licenses applied for from The Trail Running Association, The Parks Trust & Willen Lakes.